Monday, September 3, 2018

Looking back in thankfulness - on good and hard days

My heart is filled with thankfulness To Him who walks beside;
Who floods my weaknesses with strength And causes fears to fly;
Whose ev’ry promise is enough For ev’ry step I take,
Sustaining me with arms of love And crowning me with grace.

Those words very much describe my heart this day as I prepare to fly, and I think I’ve experienced them more related to my Africa trips that any other time. Earlier there was some fear that a political uprising could cause problems, protests, etc., but that didn’t transpire. I have felt my weaknesses here but have also felt flooded with strength by Christ’s faithful sufficient promises. Each day and every step I can look back and see Him who walks beside and sustains me with His love and grace. Today is a hard day to say goodbye to my African family but a good day as I will see my CA family soon.

The other day we drove by the grave of my son Mark Joseph here in Congo and I was reminded of experiencing these truths in greater ways (see blog from 8/31/18). As I look back 7 years to the first time I traveled home from Africa, my heart wasn’t initially filled with thankfulness as I sat on that plane for a long lonely ride. My thoughts were in a downward spiral of sin, self-pity that was spinning into resentment and bitterness. But that day by God’s grace I stopped listening to myself and started preaching to my soul about God (see Psalm 42-43). I took that road less traveled and it made all the difference. My circumstances hadn’t changed, but my perspective changed as I pursued thankfulness in the midst of my selfishness. Instead of complaining I began counting my blessings, and as I travel back from Africa this time, I can assure every reader of this blog we have much to be thankful for. Not just physically or materially (the more obvious in Congo), but spiritually we all need to count and recount our blessings (including those not as obvious without this exercise). I’m re-posting what I wrote then in hopes it will stimulate you to rehearse and even record past blessings, and to revisit the next time you’re in a downward spiral.

http://lifeatthelaytons.blogspot.com/2011/09/sunday-message-away-from-church.html

My heart is filled with thankfulness To him who reigns above,
Whose wisdom is my perfect peace, Whose ev’ry thought is love.
For ev’ry day I have on earth Is given by the King;
So I will give my life, my all, To love and follow him.”

— WORDS AND MUSIC BY KEITH GETTY & STUART TOWNEND COPYRIGHT © 2003 THANKYOU MUSIC


Update: I’m also filled with thankfulness for travel mercies of getting changed seats to have extra legroom in the emergency exit row this time for my 26 hours of flying! Spiritual blessings are most important, but physical blessings for a tall guy on a cramped plane are a great added bonus!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment