Sunday, September 2, 2018

A Worshipful Weekend to Remember


Saturday was a day of rest and I was blessed and refreshed. I was able to call my kids for a bit and also had some down time and then a nice dinner with Didier and Patience (his pastoral assistant). Didier told me all the men would agree this has been a revival for them and these reformation solas have re-invigorated them to pursue biblical ministry under these 5 pillars of the church. Patience in his free time after the conference had been typing all of the notes on these points into a 13-page syllabus of the main points in French and English! It was a labor of love of many hours and will be a blessing to handout to the pastors and those wanting to pass on its truths to others! What a joy this young man is and I can see why Didier is grooming him for ministry and praying he’ll become a key leader for Compassion for Congo and help lead the church’s next generation here.

On a side note about notes I heard that the police colonel who attended took notes and is sending that out to many he knows via WhatsApp! (If you don’t know what that is, ask a young person, hint: social media group app :). Even in this compound that doesn’t have electricity without running a generator, the theology of the Reformation is going out in print and in phone apps, by God’s sovereign providence!

Saturday night was quite a feast with fish and pigeon and rice and foo-foo and okra. I asked for the pigeon recipe as I told him we have some pigeons at our church! The youth group had a choir practice, study, and sleepover here last night so the guest house was full with young men who love the Lord.

Sunday morning was a blessed time of worship with the 3 churches gathered together for joint service and agape meal. There were 300 some people (155 kids!) and the service was 3 hours long. The prelude alone was powerful and so worshipful. Since there was the Lord’s table and 6 choir songs, I was asked to keep my preaching to 75-80 minutes. I felt a foretaste of heaven ... worshipful singing and reverence at the Lord’s Table, rejoicing in music and in the message exalting Christ. I preached on John 20, responding to seeing Christ in His risen glory. For communion those who are prepared walk forward to take the elements and I and the pastors held hands on stage and kneeled and prayed. The choir was 40 people deep and so uplifting, especially because I knew some of these people personally from our interactions these 2 weeks. When I thought the service was done, they sang 3 more songs :)
UIKEYINPUTDOWNARROW

When I started my sermon I quoted a few phrases I learned in Swahili when I was adopting Matteus, and the place erupted in applause and hand-waving and I think made me friends with all of them. After church I think 100-200 people wanted pictures with me. I don’t think I’ve taken that many pictures since my wedding and my face muscles haven’t been as sore since from all the smiling :) They also presented me with gifts to hang in my office or home to remind me to pray for them and I will. I’ll miss these dear saints as I head out Monday PM. Lord-willing I’we may be able to send some pictures and videos when I get Wi-Fi at the airport in Ethiopia before my 20.5 hour flight from there to LAX (no, that’s not a typo, 20.5 hours on one plane :). Appreciate your prayers and support for this trip, all glory be to Christ our King!


No comments:

Post a Comment