Friday, August 31, 2018

Friday recap and rejoicing

Thank God for this Friday! It was a good day, and I was definitely tiring from the schedule by the last 2 days, but we finished well by God’s grace. Friday we finished the day by looking at roles of wives and husbands and parents and children in Colossians 3:18-21 and Ephesians 5:22-6:4. The first 30-40 minutes were on what we’re all to put on daily first in Colossians 3:12-17, just like Africans put on beautiful clothes we need to but on these beautiful characteristics. Forbearance and forgiveness in v. 13 and love are critical in both contexts and I sensed was critical for many in the room to hear.

Most of the next 2 hours I taught on family roles with very practical and pointed examples and exhortations that I trust were some of the most important words of the conference. I shared very transparently about my own failings and how I’ve had to ask forgiveness from my wife and kids and I sensed that in particular was impactful (and maybe even unheard of to some). When I talked about the importance of honoring father and mother, even when they’re not acting or living honorably, I heard later there was conviction and some prayed together about that. Didier told me at one point he had tears streaming down his face, even as he was interpreting, God’s Word was impacting him in a scripture he’d heard many times, but now felt God’s Spirit speak deep to his heart. His wife Annie felt the same way about the same point. All to God’s glory as He spoke beyond what we could!

To close the conference, we spent many minutes in individual prayer of confession and application. We began the week praying the scriptures in Psalms and ended it praying the truths of Colossians 3 and Ephesians 5-6 for ourselves and our families. Then when I thought we were done and it seemed a good note to end on, Didier gave another 20 minutes of exhortation :) After 3 hours of teaching without a break the people were as engaged as ever this last day, and they’re already asking for more. After 2 full weeks of teaching I thought they’d have enough, but they’re already asking when I can come back :) They were thankful for what they learned from this American from God’s Word, but I can tell you we Americans have much we can learn from these Africans! There may have been some conviction during the teaching, but their listening and hunger for teaching should be a conviction for us! These people preached many sermons to me this week by their attitudes and attention to scripture and their worshipful response and fervent thankfulness to God.

In a time of testimony this week one woman stood up to share she’ll never forget this time and how last week God delivered her from darkness to see the light. Another lady who sat in the front each day seemed to have such a negative and downcast disposition all week but in the last couple days her whole countenance seemed to have changed, to the glory of grace. A pastor shared with me he had been complacent in his spiritual life and not reading like he should, but now he felt motivated again to God’s Word and the ministry. A mother stood up to talk about the restoration God is doing in her family and how her son wants to make things right. Didier shared with me the discouragement of ministry I can relate to, but his has been very deep this year. Now he’s greatly encouraged. I’m greatly encouraged also, and I pray sharing this encourages you in our great God, all to His glory.

My prayer request today is that you join me in praising God for a blessed conference and ask Him to continue to bear fruit and not let the world or the devil or distractions snatch away the seed. Pray with me also that this weekend will be a blessed celebration as all the churches gather together. And pray especially for the pastors (myself included) to be faithful to and joyful in the Solas and our families

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the great report! To God be the glory. Niki and I have been very encouraged as we read through all the Lord is doing over there. Praying for His continual hand of blessing as you celebrate His wonderful deeds and for continued unity and humility among His people. Safe travels back home as we can’t wait to hear about the whole experience first hand.
    Jason and Niki

    ReplyDelete