Thursday, October 20, 2011

Our Mountain-Moving Miracle-Working Red-Sea-Dividing All-Providing God

Yesterday I shared with you how Didier finally received very important papers for his land that he has been repeatedly trying to get for 15 months now. If you haven’t been to the D.R.C. to know how this country works, you may not to be able to appreciate what a work of God that was that he got it yesterday, but Didier said this was a “very big miracle” as far as he’s concerned. He was very happy and very encouraged and very much praising God yesterday, and I was very joyful and even tearful as I joined in.


After I sent my update yesterday from the internet cafĂ© in town, we did a couple more errands in town and on the way home we stopped by another office to see if equally important papers of mine were ready. Praise the Lord they were as well! Both of these documents are huge evidences of grace from our mountain-moving miracle-working red-sea-dividing all-providing God. Some theologians would define “miracles” technically as supernatural acts of God that defy natural laws and would classify what we experienced Wednesday as extraordinary acts of Providence instead. But whatever way you define it theologically, logically these documents we hold in our hands can only be ascribed to the favor of the God who holds in His hand all things, including the hearts of kings.

On September 8th, I was not in the best mood after being caused to miss my flight back home because I was with friends who had a crying baby (and didn’t have a newly required document). But our God who moves in mysterious ways used that occasion for us to meet with a number of top officials face-to-face, and in His providence Didier now has a personal connection with them and so do I. What happened in September with the “baby-crying-Papa-Didier-on-the-tarmac-incident” has made Papa Didier now a household name with many of the airport personnel, and some of them remember me, too. In fact, when Jaime was here and I was buying a cell-phone in town, two ladies waved hello and came across the street and said they remembered me from the airport and asked how the twins were doing. I showed them a picture of the twins and a picture of Matteus and they were very happy and said they would see me at the airport.

When I saw the man yesterday, he remembered me and smiled and he helped us get a very important document. Didier said this is a huge favor shown to us by our faithful God who works all things together for God’s adopted children (Romans 8:28, 15). This includes things that are not good, like missing your flight, and includes even our attitudes that are not good, as our God mercifully works together His good purposes despite us.

Today I was in the same office and a lady who knew English asked me, “So why do you want to adopt a Congolese baby?” I was caught a little off-guard and wasn’t sure of her tone or intent, but I explained, “Why? Well, God has adopted me, even though I was not His child and I am different than Him, but He has brought me into His family, and His love in my heart is what makes me want to adopt a child to show His love to.” It was a great gospel moment. The lady didn’t seem to know what to say but a few moments later she asked if I would adopt her, too!

One other evidence of God’s clear providence and grace that Didier shared with me yesterday … Didier has known for 5 years and been praying for the salvation of a key Catholic man in the orphan community who helped Didier get the 3 new foster children he has now, the Wilmarth twins now in California, and Joel Cowley who is now adopted in Idaho. I spent a lot of time with him the first time I came to Congo. He helped me with the funeral arrangements for my son and was very touched by meeting me and I was praying I would be a good witness to him of my hope and faith in Christ in such a hard time. Yesterday Didier told me this man has said he has been talking with his wife and would like to leave the Catholic church and become a part of Didier’s church instead!! Please pray that God will draw this man to fully understand and embrace the gospel of grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone, and be willing to follow Him, even if it may cost him in relation to his past religion, relationships, and even resources.

I began the last paragraph with “one other…” assuming that was the end for today. I was just about to save this file on my laptop which is just about out of battery and then to head into town with Didier. Didier came over hurriedly and said it was Danielle from the embassy on the phone. When she began with “Mr. Layton …” I didn’t know if there was a problem, but she went on to tell me that my file was approved and ready and all the documents could be picked up this afternoon! I didn’t know what to say other than “wow, that is amazing,” and she said, “yeah, this one went really fast, you’re very lucky.” I was quick to clarify, “I think God has heard the many prayers for this and answered them.” She said, “absolutely.” I thanked her again and as soon as I hung up I tried to tell Didier the good news but I couldn’t get the words out, only tears for joy. He knew what I was trying to say and then called his friend who will meet her at the embassy today to bring the documents to me. As I send this praise report Didier is wiring the money to his friend in Kinshasa and we should have the embassy documents this weekend that we need to leave!!! From here we go to Ethiopian Airlines to change my flight to the earliest available one. Didier, myself, and Matteus will be landing on U.S. soil Lord-willing in less than 6 days!!!

Normally this embassy process takes a minimum of 10 days and an American who even works at the embassy who adopted warned how difficult the process can be when a parent is living but to pray because God can work miracles. I was just praying for today that the medical results would get there before the end of the day and that Danielle would have time to get to my file by Friday afternoon … and basically everything was done before lunch on Thursday! All I can do is give amazed praise to the God who is able to do exceedingly beyond all I ask or even think to pray, to Him be the glory (Ephesians 3:20-21)!!!

12 comments:

  1. Alleluia, ah? Praising Our Mighty God!! We continue to pray and rejoice with you all!!
    The Blazius's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Brother Philippe! Wonderful!!! Praise be to God!!! So many answered prayers!!

    Is Mary Etienne who you are talking about???? Oh how wonderful if it is true!

    Wonderful that you will in America soon and reunited with your dear ones.

    How how wonderful is our Abba!!

    Rejoicing with you our friend!
    Gabe and Jocelyn ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise Him!!! Amen,alleluia!!! amom

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such good news Phil. We've been thinking about you and praying for you often. I'm glad things are working out. I love reading your updates.

    Your cousin,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. DITTO to the above "Alleluia, ah"!

    We will continue to pray for our Mighty God to sustain and provide, as His love chooses for you and Matteus.

    "Great Is His Faithfulness".

    To God be the glory,
    Linda (for the Cains)
    Psalm 139

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay! what a mighty God we serve! Praise God with you Phil. Love- The McIntyres

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I read this blog, all I can do is sit, cry, shake my head in awe of the powerful hand of our God!!!!!!! We too will be praying for you all as you travel back to the USA. Thank you Phil for blessing us, so encouraging! Much love to you and the family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alleluia, ah? I blew my trumpet for our miracle working God of Eph 3:20-21! Lord willing we'll give you and Matteus a big hug next week already! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Those who sow in tears shall reap with joyful shouting." Psalm 126:5 Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rejoicing with you as God moves mightily on your behalf! All glory to God! Looking forward to your homecoming!
    Blessings,
    Allan and Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our God will do abundantly more than all we ask and pray. Praise God for His great LOVE and provision! See you soon, Blessings, the Gilbertson's

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tears of joy....words cannot express the gratefulness we feel in our hearts.

    sue and cliff peppers
    cyndee and phil anderson

    ReplyDelete