Tuesday, August 21, 2018

DAY 1 teaching 
(Phil said he woke up at 4:00am and couldn't sleep, so he got up, started studying and re-worked all his notes.  They had plenty of food available so they opened the conference up to women and families.  He said they were an amazing captive audience from 9:30-3:30 with only a lunch break.  The first half of the day was teaching and the second half was Q and A.)


From Phil:
Patience is Didier’s pastoral assistant and was saved from Catholicism a few years ago so the solas resonated with him.
Another guy I met at the church is named Akim, who is a recent convert from Islam a few months ago, and his dad is a Muslim Imam (their version of a pastor). It’s dangerous to convert in his situation so he has to be somewhat underground but the church is helping protect him. Didier said he’s very committed. Another man named Frank was smiling almost the entire time and eagerly, profusely thanking me afterwards.

The theme of God’s glory and God-centeredness really seemed to resonate with all, from a diverse background of churches. I was impressed at the theological knowledge of the men Didier teaches and serves with. Most of all I was impressed at their hunger for the Word of God and attention to listen for 2+ hours without needing a break (yes, Americans you should be convicted! :)

Their eagerness to know is so refreshing to me and I was moved in our time or worship and am so happy this has come together

Tomorrow I teach on Scripture Alone from Psalm 19 and maybe Ps 119 and 2 Timothy 3:16-4:5

I will have to spend some hours each day re-doing and revising the way I do notes to a way that’s helpful for them so I appreciate prayers for time and energy in the evenings and mornings. I’m exhausted mentally and physically but very encouraged spiritually. Pray for me Isaiah 40:29-31, which is part of what I was peaching on today)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it is so good to hear about their eagerness in listening for over two hours of preaching! Definitely shows their hunger for God’s word. We, as the American church, need to take note for sure.

    ReplyDelete