Thursday, August 30, 2018

Thursday recap and prayer requests

Here are the prayer requests I sent out to our church email list for those who aren’t on it:

praise the Lord for giving me health and help in teaching and for these precious Congolese saints who have listened to hours of teaching daily for 2 weeks now. Please pray for:
- Didier’s van, it has been out of commission for 3 days now and they’re having trouble fixing it (and his wisdom for what to do with it even if they can fix it). His van is essential in transporting people for the ministry
- Processes to come through for adoptions of 3 families by next year (I met with a government official today to help and there’s an important follow-up tomorrow)
- Healing of Didier’s daughter Mary (battling malaria), and others in the churches who are suffering or struggling
- My last full day of teaching tomorrow (Friday on The Family) and preaching Sunday (3 churches)
- God’s continued care of my family till I fly home next week

Today (Thursday) I talk on God’s plan for men. I followed a similar intro and outline to yesterday’s message on God’s high calling for women. Instead of giving my notes today, I’ll just give the high-level points:
- Encouragements to men 
- Encouragements of the type of men Jesus used (focusing on the flawed and failing disciples and how patient and gracious He was to use them and us like them)
- Exhortations on what true greatness looks like (Mark 10:35-45)
- Exhortations to the type of servant-leadership Christ calls for in the church or home
- Examples Jesus gave in the upper room (and Sea of Galilee in John 21) that changed Peter
- Examples in book of Acts and 1 Peter of how the Lord transformed Peter to serve Him

Questions I remember in Q&A time:
- If you could summarize the type of man God can use in 1 or 2 words what would they be? (humble & loving ... humble because he’s God-centered and loving for Christ’s sake)
- How can I be a faithful man to witness to friends who don’t like to hear about my faith?
- I visited a church in Zambia where they did foot-washings on stage? Is that what John 13 expects of us?
- Can you give some practical examples of what it looks like to humbly serve others?
- How can I pass on what I’m learning here to others? (Didier’s assistant is taking detailed notes of both weeks in French and will photocopy for all on Sunday)

It was another blessed day that ended with glorious praise to our worthy almighty King. After the teaching we sang this song in response that Didier said they sing in honor to the God whose Word they have just heard, in thanks to Him who is worthy, almighty, and sovereign.






No comments:

Post a Comment