Wednesday, August 15, 2018

More about my trip - teaching and schedule

Didier called last night and filled me in on plans for the next couple weeks. I originally thought the first week would be just the 5-10 pastors/leaders-in-training in the churches Dider planted. He said they have invited many 50 or so they expect to be there from other churches! The 2nd week they estimate 130. There may be more theological diversity of the pastors than originally which is both a praise and a prayer request as I seek to address controversial issues with charity and clarity.

He said they are hungry for the Word and eager and excited for this time. Our church's giving will also help provide food for their bodies as well as their souls. Lord-willing I leave Friday and arrive Sunday afternoon, Monday will be a rest day, then Tuesday will begin in earnest. Below is the tentative schedule (he did mention it may change and to be flexible, something I need to learn as someone who likes to plan and have all my ducks in a row :) I may need to combine 2 days into 1:

Week 1 Outline - Pastoral Focus - 5 Pillars of Christianity
Day 1 (August 19th): God's Glory Alone (Soli Deo Gloria) is the purpose for everything
Morning topics: God's glory as motivation for ministry, preaching, etc.
Afternoon Q&A ideas: God glorified in suffering, if not healed, etc. (false prosperity gospel) 

Day 2: Scripture Alone (Sola Scriptura) is our authority
Morning topics: It is powerful, all we need, we need it deep in us, why must study, etc.
Question ideas: How to study scripture, more on false teaching

Day 3: Grace Alone (Sola Gratia) is what saves, all of God, not of man
Morning topics: Doctrines of grace, how to preach them, how they should affect us, etc.
Question ideas: Sovereignty vs. responsibility, etc.

Day 4: Faith Alone (Sola Fide) is how we receive saving grace, not works
Morning topics: Gospel preaching, how to build faith through preaching and teaching
Question ideas: Balancing importance of works, but not for salvation, other?

Day 5: Christ Alone (Solo Christo) is Lord and Savior should be the focus of everything
Morning topics: Only head of church (pastor is not), Lordship only way of salvation, etc.
Question ideas: How to exalt Christ in preaching (examples of different parts of Bible)

Week 2 Outline - Church Family Focus
Monday - 5 Pillars of the Church (summarize in 1 day above from week 1)
Tuesday - Women in the Church (importance in Bible, single or widows, wives, mothers, etc.)
Wednesday - Men in the Church (servant leadership, in home and church, godly qualities, etc.)
Thursday - Marriage and the Church (purity outside marriage, role of husband and wife, etc.)
Friday - Parents and the Children in the Church (culture vs. scripture, honor vs. obey, etc.)

Sunday 8/26 I will preach in Didier's church and Sunday 9/2 I will preach to a combined big service of the 3 churches. This is a big praise but also a big pressure so I would invite your prayers to our big God:
- that I would serve His family there as I go and my family before I leave
- that I would use my time well between now and then and on the way
- that I would gird my mind and that God would guard hearts and guide steps 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment